I need to know my educational rights.

Important Resources:

Project LETS believes that one of the greatest equalizing factors in our society is higher education. Historically, mentally ill & neurodivergent students have been left out, discriminated against, and unable to matriculate with other able-bodied students; and this is still a reality for our most marginalized students. 

Did you know: Under Title II and Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act, institutions are required to provide accommodations for students with both visible and invisible disabilities.

You can:

  1. Submit a University Report to Project LETS notifying our organization of the policy, behavior, or issue. 
  2. Learn what laws you're protected by 
  3. Request a National PMHA to support you [PMHAs can help provide emotional support, or provide more advocacy-related services, such as helping to file a grievance report] 
  4. Request a meeting with our team via phone, video conference, or in-person to discuss on-campus efforts and how to address ongoing challenges.
  5. Project LETS can provide direct assistance to students who are currently navigating an on-campus disability-related process [such as: medical leave]

I need legal advocacy support.

  • Bazelon Mental Health Law Center
  • Transgender Law Center

More resources are coming soon.

I was, or someone I know is, being held involuntarily.

Every state has different laws and policies surrounding involuntary hospitalization. Check out Know the Laws in Your State: The Treatment Advocacy Center.

From the Treatment Advocacy Center: "Three forms of involuntary treatment are authorized by civil commitment laws in 46 states and the District of Columbia. Two forms are available in Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts and Tennessee, where court-ordered outpatient treatment has not yet been adopted.

  • Emergency hospitalization for evaluation is a crisis response in which a patient is admitted to a treatment facility for psychiatric evaluation, typically for a short period of fixed time (e.g., 72 hours). "Psychiatric hold" or "pick-up" and other terms may be used to describe the process.
  • Inpatient civil commitment is a process in which a judge orders hospital treatment for a person who continues to meet the state’s civil commitment criteria after the emergency evaluation period. Inpatient commitment is practiced in all states, but the standards that qualify an individual for it vary from state to state. “Involuntary hospitalization” or another term may be used to describe the practice.
  • Outpatient civil commitment or “assisted outpatient treatment (AOT)“ is a treatment option in which a judge orders a qualifying person with symptoms of mental illness to adhere to a mental health treatment plan while living in the community. AOT laws have been passed in 46 states, but the standards for its use vary from state to state. “Outpatient commitment,” “involuntary outpatient commitment,” “mandated outpatient treatment” and other terms may be used to describe the practice."

Other resources: